Rising time: 2¼ hours
Baking time: 35 minutes
Total time: 3¼ hours
- 4½ cups white flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1¾ cups water
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1¼ tablespoons salt
- 2 cups rolled oats
- Put two cups of the flour and the yeast in a large bowl and set aside.
- Microwave the water, brown sugar, butter, and salt for about two minutes in a small bowl, until butter is almost melted.
- Pour the water mixture into the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed. Add the oats and then the remaining flour one cup at a time, stirring or kneading it until it is nearly homogenous between flour additions. When all the flour has been added, knead the dough for 5-10 minutes until it is well mixed.
- Place the dough in a bowl and let rise in a warm place for about an hour and a half, covered with a damp towel or plastic wrap.
- Punch the dough down and place it into a greased bread pan. Cover and let rise again in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. If you'd like to sprinkle toppings on the loaf, such as oats, first brush the surface of the dough with water or milk. Bake for about 35 minutes, until the loaf sounds hollow when the bottom is tapped. Cool on rack before cutting or storing.